Book Cheap Flights- Save Huge
About American Airlines
If your child, aged between 5 to 17 years old, is travelling alone on an American Airline flight, then you do not have to worry. The airline takes all necessary measures to ensure safety, security, and comfort of the child, who is travelling alone. Once your child reaches the airport, the airport ground personnel and authorised escort will take care of the child. Under American Airlines unaccompanied minor policy, the minor will board the flight earlier before the general boarding starts. It helps the child familiarise with the flight’s attendant. Let’s learn more about the policy before you book a flight for your minor child.
American Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Rules
When your kids travel unaccompanied with American Airlines, the airline makes sure that your children have an ideal travel experience with utmost comfort and protection. When your kids are at the airport, it is the airline’s obligation to look after your children until they depart from the airport. Check out American Airlines unaccompanied minor policy:
- Children 5 years of age or older may travel unaccompanied on American Airlines flights that do not change aircraft.
- Children between 8 to 14 years old can travel on connecting flights.
- Reservations must be confirmed to the final destination and may not include a connection to the last American Airlines flights or American Eagle flight.
- Children between 15 to 17 years old are considered young adults and do not require unaccompanied minor service. However, upon request by the parent or legal guardian, they can travel with the airline as an unaccompanied minor.
- Connections to flights of other carriers are allowed only when permitted by the rules of the connecting carrier.
- A fee will be charged for each unaccompanied minor for the services provided.
- The unaccompanied minor must make early check-in in order to complete the UMNR paperwork prior to boarding. For domestic flights, the minor must reach the airport at least 1 ½ hours prior to departure and for international flights, the minor must reach at the airport at least 2 hours before the departure.
- The parent / guardian dropping off the child at the airport must provide the authority with their name, ID proof, address, home, and business telephone number. The same information will be required at check-in for the parent / guardian coming to pick-up the child from the final airport.
- The parent / guardian dropping off the child, must remain with the kid until the flight takes off.
- The parent must advise the child to follow only the uniformed American Airlines crew member, agent or authorized person’s instructions only.
*Note: Due to local health guidance, American Airlines is not accepting unaccompanied minors for flights Beijing, Seul, Shanghai, and Sydney.
American Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Program Details
To make travel safe, comfortable, and entertaining, American Airlines has included some important details. Unaccompanied minor services provided by the airline are as follows:
- The unaccompanied minor is entitled to early boarding, which allows the child to familiarise with the flight attendants.
- Unaccompanied minors will have access to kids-only lounges in American Airlines hub airports for connecting flights.
- The airline will provide complimentary kits from Quaker with snacks and wide-range of fun activities.
- An authorised airport escort will be available to assist the kid to the gate for flight connections.
- An authorised personnel at the airport will escort the child to the authorised adult who comes to pick up the child at the final airport.
Unaccompanied Minor Travel Guide
Before booking a flight for a minor who needs to travel alone, be sure to understand the rules of American Airlines. The airline accepts American Airlines unaccompanied minors on board. However, a parent or a legal guardian must be present at the departure gate and assist the child until the flight departs. If the child needs to transfer from one longer flight to another, American Airlines will help.
Age & Flight Restrictions
Under some circumstances, American Airlines doesn’t permit unaccompanied minors, if their trip includes:
- Flights on another airline including Codeshare and OneworldⓇ partners.
- Ground or co-terminal connections, where the child must transfer from one local airport to another.
- The last flight of the day from the final connection city (unless it is the only flight).
- Overnight connecting flights.
|Unaccompanied minors are not allowed
|Unaccompanied minor service requiredGate escort and guardian contact requiredNon-stop flights only
|Unaccompanied minor service requiredGate escort and guardian contact requiredNon-stop flights or connecting flights through Charlotte (CLT), Washing Reagan (DCA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New York (JFK, LGA), Los Angeles (LAX), Miami (MIA), Chicago (ORD), Philadelphia (PHL), and Phoenix (PHX)
|Optional unaccompanied minor service, service fee still applies.Gate escort and guardian contact requiredNon-stop flights or connecting flights through Charlotte (CLT), Washing Reagan (DCA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New York (JFK, LGA), Los Angeles (LAX), Miami (MIA), Chicago (ORD), Philadelphia (PHL), and Phoenix (PHX)
How to Book
American Airlines unaccompanied minor reservation can be done by phone. You call the airline’s reservation center at 800-433-7300. However, AAdvantageⓇ Web Special Awards can be booked online, but if you call an agent, they might provide you with another award.
Getting Ready to Fly
Whether it is the child’s first time traveling alone or first time overall, the airline advises the parents and adults to discuss the journey with the child. Strictly ask them to speak only with the authorized and uniformed American Airlines staff members and assure them the airline staff will be there to assist them throughout the journey. Here are some helpful tips:
- Familiarize your child with the airline’s uniformed personnel.
- Write down phone numbers for your child.
- Pack books, games, and money in one small carry-on bag.
- Food and drink service is limited and hence, it is advisable to pack snacks for your child.
- An ID card and contact information attached to your child’s carry-on bag or jacket
- Fully charge electronic devices, with chargers and headphones in carry-on bags.
Whether the unaccompanied minor is traveling domestically or internationally, it is best to reach the airport at least 2 hours prior to scheduled departure. The adult accompanying the children at the airport must speak with a ticket counter agent at the airport. The agent will hand over an unaccompanied minor form to fill out. Fill out the form and provide necessary customs and immigration documents. The form should be with the child during their journey. The other important documents required are:
- A birth certificate or passport as proof of the child’s age.
- The adult’s government-approved photo ID with their current address.
- The adult’s contact number.
- The name, address, and contact number of the adult coming to pick-up the child at the final destination.
- Once your child checks-in, the agent at the ticket counter will give you a pass, so that you can take your child to the gate.
Boarding & Takeoff
- An adult is allowed to take the child to the boarding gate at the airport and remain there until the flight is airborne.
- Inform the gate agent about your unaccompanied minor.
- The unaccompanied minor is entitled to prior boarding, so that they can familiarize with the flight attendants, who further help them understand the plane’s safety features.
- Inform the authorized pick-up person that the flight is airborne and inform them to reach the final airport at least 2 hours before the arrival.
During the Flight
American Airlines pay special attention to its unaccompanied minors. However, it is not always possible to monitor the child throughout the journey. Hence, remind your child to abide by the following rules:
- If the child feels uneasy or uncomfortable or needs any assistance, they must inform the flight attendant.
- Follow the flight’s safety measures, like wearing the belt, specially during take off and landing.
- Wait for an uniformed airline staff to escort them off the plane, once it arrives at the gate.
Arrival & Pick-up
The person authorised by the child’s parent or guardian who came to drop the child off at the departing airport to pick-up the child from the arriving airport, must provide a government-approved photo ID. You will receive a security pass to pick-up the child at the gate.
Rules for Young Adults
Children aged between 15 to 17 years old are considered young adults and can travel without using unaccompanied minor services. If their flight gets delayed or cancelled, in no circumstances they can leave the airport. Remind them not to leave the airport, unless they are accompanied by an uniformed team member or police officer, or have spoken to a parent or designated adult.
Flights Delays & Cancellations
If your child’s flight gets delayed or cancelled, the airline will offer the child an alternate. The airline will also inform the child’s parent or guardian from the phone number provided in the form. In rare cases, if the child needs to stay overnight, the airline will arrange accommodation, meals, and supervision. The airline will be in touch with adults if required.
Children Travelling outside the United States
Some airports don’t allow adults to accompany the child travelling alone through security checks. In such circumstances, an authorised airport staff or uniformed airline crew member will escort your child and assist them with necessary documents and security checks, until the flight departs. Children under 18 must bring a Letter of Consent to travel internationally without both parents.
Furthermore, some countries have different rules and regulations for unaccompanied minors. Here’s Country-specific regulations for American Airlines unaccompanied minors.
- Unaccompanied child must provide his / her birth certificate.
- Notarized travel authorization from both parents.
- The Brazilian Embassy or consulate must issue, authenticate, and legalise this travel authorization.
- Italian citizens under the age of 18, travelling internationally must have their individual passport and Dichiarazione di Accompagno or Declaration of Temporary Guardianship for travelling abroad.
- The document must include the signature of a parent or legal guardian.
- It also includes authentication of local police headquarters, and the name of the airline the child will use.
- Children of other nationalities must check with the local Italian embassy or consulate in their residence country.
- Children travelling alone to / from Mexico must have a travel authorization letter.
- The letter must be in Spanish and notarized.
- The letter must be signed by at least one parent or legal guardian.
- All unaccompanied children must present their own passport.
- Spanish children travelling alone, with only one parent or with a third party have a travel permit requested by the parent or legal guardian. It must be issued by either one of these- police, civil guard, Notary’s office, or Town Hall.
- Children of other nationalities, living in Spain, must visit the consulate to complete the necessary paperwork.
Unaccompanied Minor Program Fees
American Airlines unaccompanied minor fee is US$ 150 each way (plus taxes, where applicable) that applies to travel within the United States, and internationally, on both non-stop and connecting flights.
- The fee US$ 150 is mandatory for children ages between 5-17 years old, if they are travelling under American Airlines unaccompanied minor policy.
- The fee covers up to 4 children, if they are travelling together.
- The fee can be paid as one-way or round trip at the time of check-in or in advance by calling American Airlines reservation.
- Unaccompanied minors must be ticketed on adult fare.
- The charge will be assessed for each unaccompanied minor, with one exception. If the two unaccompanied minors from the same family, then only one charge will be assessed.
Being one of the world’s leading airlines, American Airlines takes extra measures to ensure the safety of your child, who is travelling alone. However, before you make any reservation, it is better to understand American Airlines unaccompanied minor policy.
Does American Airlines allow unaccompanied minors on-board?
American Airlines allows unaccompanied minors on-board. However, the minor must present valid documents, such as Id card with photos, passports, etc.
How much is the American Airlines unaccompanied minor fee?
The American Airlines unaccompanied minor fee is US$ 150 (plus taxes, if applicable) each way that applies to travel within the United States, and internationally, on both non-stop and connecting flights. This fee covers up to 4 children travelling together.
Who will transfer my child from flight to flight?
An uniformed employee of American Airlines will escort your unaccompanied child. If the child is travelling on a short connecting flight, the employee will escort the child directly to the connecting departure.
What happens if the unaccompanied minor’s flight is delayed or cancelled?
If the unaccompanied minor’s flight is not operated as scheduled, the airline will rebook your child on the next available departing flight. The American Airlines escort will stay with the child until the child boards on an alternate flight. Furthermore, the airline will contact the picking-up adult and inform them of the new schedule. If the delay requires an overnight stay, the airline will arrange accommodation, meals, and supervision and will be in touch with the parents.
Can unaccompanied minors on American Airlines travel internationally?
Yes. Unaccompanied minors can travel internationally. However, it sometimes depends on the country the child is travelling to.
What is the procedure to board the American Airlines flight for an unaccompanied minor?
An American Airlines employee will take over your child from you at the gate before general boarding begins. It allows the employee to introduce your child with the flight attendants, and cockpit crew. One of the flight attendants will take the child to the seat and help them with their carry-on bags. The flight attendant will familiarise your child with the aircraft’s safety features.
How to book a flight for an unaccompanied minor?
To make a reservation for an unaccompanied minor travelling on an American Airlines flight, the adult must contact the reservation centre at 800-433-7300.
At what age minors can travel alone on an American Airlines flight?
Minors aged between 5 to 17 years old are allowed to travel alone on an American Airlines flight.
Can the adult board the flight with the minor?
Adults not accompanying the child are not allowed to board the flight.