Book Cheap Flights- Save Huge
About American Airlines
You booked a flight, and you need to reschedule your travel date due to unavoidable circumstances. How to do that? Is it even possible to change your flight? American Airlines flight change policy is very flexible and allows you to change your flight up to a specific period of time.
American Airlines is the world’s largest and major US-based airline, headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas. It operates 6,800 flights daily to nearly 350 destinations in over 50 countries. It serves millions of passengers each day and thus it was important for the airline to make its policies flexible and convenient for the customers. Here we will discuss American Airlines’ change flight policy, so that you can make an informed decision.
American Airlines Flight Change Policy
American Airlines’ policies have undergone some major changes in recent two years, and the credit goes to the pandemic. These changes in policies have empowered customers to make an informed decision knowing they can save money by changing the schedule instead of canceling the entire itinerary. However, the airline’s current flight change policy is as follows:
- There will be no change fee for domestic, short-haul international, and selected long-haul international destinations.
- Basic Economy fares are non-changeable and non-refundable.
- American Airlines has waived off its flight change fee for all flights except for international flights that originate from outside North America.
- Passengers are allowed to make changes in their reservation only once for free. However, they may have to pay for the fare difference, if applicable.
- Fly standby for free in earlier domestic flights including Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands to the same destination on the same day.
American Airlines 24-hour flight change Policy
The 24-hour flight change and cancellation policy are among the most beneficial policies of almost all US airlines. American Airlines, too, provides its customers with a 24-hour flight change policy so that if a plan changes, they have the choice to make an easy and quick choice. However, the policy is applicable to a few circumstances:
- American Airlines allows its customers to make some specific changes in their itinerary within 24-hours of reservation for free, regardless of the fare type.
- After the 24-hour risk-free period, Basic Economy tickets will be non-changeable and non-refundable.
- Since American Airlines has eliminated its change fee for all fare types, excluding Basic Economy, you can change your itinerary even after 24-hours, except you are making the changes on the same-day of departure.
- Under American Airlines flight change policy, the refundable ticket holders can change their flight more than one time with no additional charge.
- They may have to pay for the difference in fare if the new flight is more expensive than the original one. However, if the new flight is less costly, then the airline will initiate the refund for the difference. It will be credited to the original payment method within 7 to 10 business days.
- Non-refundable ticket holders are entitled to change or alter their itinerary only once for free.
- Basic Economy tickets cannot be changed, after a 24-hour risk-free period.
- If you have to change your flight more than once, then the airline will charge you for each change you make. The fee will depend on the destination, and date.
- If your new flight is costlier than the previous one, then you have to pay for the difference.
- You can swap an Award ticket for free/redeposit fee if you have one. The airline will add the value of your Award ticket for future travel.
American Airlines Change Flight Policy for Third-Party Agents
- The airline allows third-party agents to request for a change at least 30 to 90 minutes prior to the scheduled departure.
- The policy is allowed only if the agent selects an alternate flight maintaining the same inventory.
American Airlines Same-day Flight Change Policy
- American Airlines same-day flight change policy is applicable to only new flights that must depart on the same day, from and to the same destinations, as your original flight.
- The new itinerary must have the same number of stops, in the same airport, as your original flight.
- The new flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines and American Eagle.
- Same-day confirmed changes and standby are subject to availability on selected flights.
- Anyone can standby for an earlier flight, but only AAdvantage status members are allowed to standby for a late flight the same day.
- If the passengers make same-day flight change requests, they must have to pay a same-day change fee of USD 75-USD 150 depending on the route.
American Airline Flight Change Fee
American Airlines flight change fee has been eliminated on all fare types, except for Basic Economy tickets. Passengers do not have to incur any change fee if the changes are made at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure. However, if you need to change the flight on the same-day, a change fee of USD 75-USD 150 will be levied on you by the airline.
- For passengers traveling from/to/within the US, Puerto Rico,US Virgin Islands, Canada, and the Caribbean then USD 75 same-day change fee will be applicable.
- For flights traveling through/ between New York (JFK) and London (LHR), a same-day flight change fee of USD 150 will be applicable.
American Airlines Seat Change Policy
American Airlines passengers are entitled to upgrade or change their seat after booking the ticket. However, the airline allows its customers to select their seat during the booking process.
American Airlines name Change Policy
Due to any typing error, your name was changed in the booking, you can modify it for free up to three characters. However you can not transfer your ticket to someone else by changing the entire name.
American Airlines Return Flight Policy
If your return ticket is with American Airlines, you can modify only one of the flights within 24-hour of booking and the scheduled departure should be at least 7 days later.
Steps to Change American Airlines Flight
- Visit https://www.americanairlines.in/intl/in/index.jsp
- Click on ‘My Trip’
- Enter the passenger’s first and last name, and booking reference
- Click on ‘Find Reservation’
- The next play will display your reservation
- Click the change or edit button on the reservation you want to make changes
- Follow the prompt to modify your itinerary
- You can keep it standby and when you are ready to rebook, go to ‘Manage trips/check in area select view canceled trip from the drop-down menu.
Note: In case you are unable to make the changes online, you can take assistance from American Airlines’ executive by calling at 800 433 7300.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I change my American Airlines (AA) flight without change fees?
American Airlines (AA) has eliminated its flight change fee from all types of fares, excluding Basic economy. However, if you are modifying your flight on the same-day of the scheduled departure, then USD 75-USD 150 will be levied on you. Basic Economy tickets can be changed only if the changes are made within 24-hours of booking.
How late can you change an American Airlines (AA) flight?
American Airlines (AA) permits its customers to modify their reservations for up to the date of departure. You can change the name, time, and destination at least 30-90 minutes before departure.
How much does it cost to change an American Airlines (AA) Flight?
American Airlines (AA) has eliminated its change fee for all types of fares except for Basic Economy fares, which are non-changeable and non-refundable. However, the 24-hour no-change fee will be applicable to all types of fares. If you are changing the flight on the same day of departure, the airline will charge you USD 75 to USD 150 as change fee along with the fare difference.
What happens if my new flight costs less than my original flight?
If your new flight costs less than the original flight, then the remaining will be credited for future travel or American Airlines (AA) will completely refund you the amount.
How do I modify a reservation?
If you are eligible to make changes in your flight ticket, then you can do the same by visiting American Airlines (AA)’s official website and following the instructions. If you are unable to change the reservation online, you can call American Airlines (AA) at 800 433 7300.
How to change a non-refundable ticket?
Basic Economy tickets are non-changeable. But if you are changing the information within the 24-hours from the time of booking, then it will be free of charge.
Can I change my ticket, which was purchased from a third-party agent?
American Airlines (AA) allows you to make changes for the tickets purchased from a third-party agent. However, additional charges may apply along with the change fee and fare differences.
Can I change my American Airlines (AA) flight the same day?
American Airlines (AA) allows passengers to make the changes for up to 30-90 minutes of the flight’s scheduled departure. To make the same-day change, passengers must pay USD 75-USD 150. Basic Economy tickets holders are not entitled to change their flight on the same day.
Can I get a refund for an unwanted flight change?
If the airline forces you to change the flight due to overbooking, then you are eligible for a refund. In such scenarios, the airline sometimes compensates you by providing an alternate flight.
Can I change the name of the passenger?
American Airlines allows its passengers to modify their name for free up to three characters. However, you cannot entirely change the identity of the passenger. You are not allowed to transfer the ticket to someone else
American Airlines Popular Airports
- Dallas Fort Worth International Airport Flights
- Miami International Airport Flights
- Chicago O’hare International Airport Flights
- Philadelphia International Airport Flights
- Los Angeles International Airport Flights
Popular routes of the American Airlines airlines
- New York City to Miami (NYC to MIA)
- Miami to New York City (MIA to NYC)
- Dallas to Los Angeles (DAL to LAX)
- Los Angeles to Dallas (LAX to DAL)
- Chicago to Dallas (CHI to DAL)
- Dallas to Charlotte (DAL to CLT)
- Charlotte to Miami (CLT to MIA)
- Miami to New York City (MIA to NYC)