Book Cheap Flights- Save Huge
About Lufthansa Airlines
Flying for the first time with Lufthansa Airlines? Then you must learn some basics about the airline before you proceed to board the flight. It is a major flag carrier airline of Germany. In addition, it is headquartered in Frankfurt and has primary hubs at the Frankfurt International Airport and Munich International Airport. Founded in 1953, it is one of the founding members of Star Airlines Alliance. Currently, it operates in 220 destinations worldwide. Moreover, there is an Lufthansa Airlines baggage policy, which allows passengers to understand the limit of luggage allowed in the cabin as well as on hold.
Baggage Allowance Policy
Here comes the guidelines explaining the major key points of Lufthansa Airlines baggage rules, which every passenger must adhere to. Make sure you take a thorough read of the following to avoid any chaotic scenarios.
- Each passenger will be allowed free baggage and carry-on baggage on the basis of route, travel class and fare.
- The checked baggage allowance for children of age 2 years and above, is the same as that of adults.
- If any baggage exceeds the limit of checked baggage allowance will be taken as excess baggage.
- Lufthansa offers a digital baggage service wherein, you can check-in your baggage faster and avoid long queues at the airport.
- The carriage of certain items either in checked baggage or in carry-on baggage is not permitted by law.
- You can carry your furry friend with you, as long as it complies with the pet policy and stays inside the pet container.
- Carriage of special baggage such as sports equipment has some crucial guidelines which you must adhere to.
Carry-on Baggage Allowance
- The size, weight, and quantity of free baggage and carry-on baggage items permitted on Lufthansa flights are subject to a number of criteria such as travel route, cabin class, and fare type.
- As per Lufthansa Airlines baggage allowance rule, the maximum dimensions for carry-on baggage is 55 x 40 x 23 cm and for foldable garment bags is 57 x 54 x 15 cm.
- As carry-on baggage, you can take one item of baggage with you, such as a trolley case, a compact, foldable baby buggy or a foldable garment bag, and up to two items in Business or First Class.
Carry-on allowance according to cabin class
|Carry-on Baggage Allowance
|1 piece of 17 lbs
|Premium Economy Class
|1 piece of 17 lbs
|2 pieces each of 17 lbs
|2 pieces each of 17 lbs
Additional items allowed as cabin baggage
- Another small item bag of maximum dimension (30 x 40 x 10 cm) such as handbag, laptop bag.
- Per child, either a baby carry cot, a child seat or a foldable pushchair.
- Mobility aids, such as wheelchairs and orthopedic aids.
Rules for carriage of liquids
- Containers with liquids and gel-like substances may hold up to 100 ml.
- All containers must be carried in a resealable plastic bag with a maximum capacity of 1 liter. One bag per person is allowed as per Lufthansa Airlines baggage policy.
- Duty-free liquid goods purchased at an international airport or onboard in an aircraft outside the EU, must be transported in a tamper-proof, certified bag on connecting flights via an EU airport. The proof of purchase must be inside the bag and the bag must be sealed by the retailer.
- Medicines and special food (e.g. baby food) can be carried outside the plastic bag and must also be presented at security.
- Please take your liquids out of your carry-on baggage at the security screening point and present them separately. In exceptional cases, liquids may be opened in the course of security checks and removed from their outer packaging.
Note: Items and bags that do not meet these requirements may not be taken on board.
Checked Baggage Allowance
The maximum size per piece of baggage is 158 cm. Baggage items that are larger, heavier or wider will be carried as excess baggage, in accordance with Lufthansa Airlines baggage allowance.
Free checked baggage based on travel class
|Economy Classic and Flex
|Only paid checked baggage
|1 piece of 50 lbs
|2 pieces each of 70 lbs
|Only paid checked baggage
|1 piece of 50 lbs
|2 pieces of 50 lbs
|2 pieces each of 70 lbs
|3 pieces each of 70 lbs
Book additional baggage in Economy, Business and First Class
- Passengers traveling in Economy, Premium Economy, Business and First Class have an advantage to book additional pieces of Lufthansa Airlines baggage for a fee at the Lufthansa service counter at the airport.
- However those traveling on an Economy Light fare, have the option of booking only one item of baggage per route, weighing up to 50 lbs, online after paying a fee.
Lufthansa Airlines Baggage Policy For Infants and children
- Irrespective of the booked travel class (except for the Economy Light fare), infants (7 days–2 years) are entitled to carry one free piece of bag for infants up to a maximum of 50 lbs and 158 cm.
- Children over 2 years have the same free baggage allowance as adults in each travel class, as per Lufthansa Airlines baggage policy.
- Infants under two years of age can travel on the lap of an accompanying adult. In this instance, flight attendants will give the adult a safety belt for the child before take-off.
- If you are traveling with children aged between 2 and 7, you also have the option of bringing your own child restraint system. However, if the child restraint system is used for an infant, you must purchase a separate seat.
- Suitable child seats, baby baskets or foldable pushchairs can be brought onboard as additional carry-on baggage, free of charge. Pushchairs will be labeled accordingly during check-in and transported in the cargo.
- You can also take “pocket buggies” on board with you, as part of your permitted carry-on baggage allowance.
- If you wish to take a foldable buggy or pushchair with you as far as the gate, please find out more about it here.
- Lufthansa has special bassinets available on our entire long-haul fleet: these are perfectly suited to babies under 24 lbs in weight and under 67 cm in length. The number of bassinets on board is limited; hence, reserve one in advance.
Lufthansa Airlines Pet Policy
- You can take domestic dogs or cats with you on Lufthansa flights, provided that you comply with Lufthansa Airlines baggage policy.
- Depending upon the kind of animal, its weight and size, and the regulations applicable in different countries, transport of your pet is possible at an extra cost.
- It will be carried either as additional carry-on baggage in the passenger cabin or as excess baggage in the aircraft’s air-conditioned cargo hold.
- Only smaller dogs and cats weighing no more than 17 lbs including their carrying container may be transported in the passenger cabin. Larger dogs and cats and all other animal species, regardless of their weight and size, are not allowed in the cabin. You must make a reservation at least 72 hours before departure.
- Dogs and cats weighing more than allowed cabin size may be transported as excess baggage in the aircraft’s air-conditioned cargo hold.
Excess Baggage Allowance Guidelines
As per Lufthansa Airlines baggage allowance:
- In Economy and Premium Economy Class, a piece of baggage is considered to be excess baggage when it weighs more than 50 lbs (up to a maximum of 70 lbs) and/or is larger than 158 cm (up to a maximum of 292 cm).
- In Business and First Class, a piece of baggage is considered to be excess baggage when its total dimensions are greater than 158 cm up to a maximum of 292 cm.
- Items of baggage weighing more than 32 kg will not be accepted as travel baggage. They can be sent as air freight.
- Lufthansa passengers will be charged an excess baggage fee, when their checked baggage corresponds to the allowed number of pieces but exceeds the permitted weight and / or dimensions, or when the number of pieces exceeds the checked baggage allowance.
Lufthansa Airlines Damaged and Delayed Baggage Policy
There are events that can sometimes lead to baggage items being damaged or not arriving at the destination airport at the same time as their owners. In such cases, the airline will take full responsibility, and reimburse you as applicable, as stated in Lufthansa Airlines baggage policy.
- If your baggage gets delayed and you’re at the airport, reach out to the Airline’s baggage tracing counter or report this issue online via their official website.
- Note down your reference number and check the status of your baggage regularly.
- If your baggage has not been found within five days of reporting the delay, Lufthansa will require a detailed description of the item of baggage and its contents. To do this, please fill out a form on the airline’s baggage status.
If you find any damage in your baggage, then report this issue immediately at the Lufthansa’s baggage tracing counter at the airport.. You will then be given written confirmation as well as a reference number, which you must keep carefully, until your matter is resolved.
Loss of personal property
- Lufthansa Airlines baggage allowance says that, if you have left something behind onboard in the aircraft or in one of the lounges, please report this immediately on arrival either at the Lufthansa baggage tracing counter at the airport or at the Lufthansa service counter at the airport.
- If single items or the entire contents of your checked baggage are missing, you should report this immediately upon arrival at baggage tracing counter, service counter, or by filling the contact form online.
- If your baggage arrives late at your destination, you can purchase necessary replacement clothes such as underwear and swimwear, as well as toiletries, and submit the receipts for reimbursement.
- The maximum amount reimbursable for your replacement purchases or the complete loss of your baggage is EUR 1,500.
- Airline is not liable for normal wear and tear, such as scratches and dents, or for damage to cases that have been overfilled or to breakable objects that have not been properly packed.
Lufthansa Airlines Special Baggage Allowance
- There is only limited storage space available for sports equipment. Therefore, we recommend that you register the sports equipment you want to take with you as early as possible. As per Lufthansa Airlines baggage rule, you can register your equipment up to 24 hours prior departure.
- If your sports equipment exceeds the free baggage allowance and the weight limit of the respective travel class, but does not exceed the maximum weight of 70 lbs, you will be charged the flat rates for your sports equipment.
- Sports equipment that is heavier than 70 lbs and longer than 315 cm will not be accepted as travel baggage. You can, however, send these items as air freight.
- If your equipment is not listed under the list given below, the carriage of your baggage will be charged in accordance with the flat rates for excess baggage.
Sports equipment accepted by Lufthansa includes:
- Fishing equipment
- Diving gear
- Short boards
- Golfing equipment
- (Ice) hockey equipment
- Winter sports equipment
- Firearms and ammunition
- You have the option of taking your musical instrument with you into the cabin, in accordance with Lufthansa Airlines baggage policy. Depending on the weight and size, you can carry it with you as carry-on baggage or you must book an extra ticket.
- Additionally, you can also take your musical instrument with you as an additional item of baggage and check it in.
- It is advised that your musical instrument is packed in a hard protective case with as little room for movement as possible and with good padding.
- You can take your musical instrument with you into the cabin free of charge as long as its dimensions do not exceed 55 x 40 x 23 cm and its weight does not exceed 17 lbs.
- Please bear in mind that your musical instrument thereby replaces a permitted item of carry-on baggage and you may not take any further item of carry-on baggage on board with you.
- If your instrument’s dimensions exceed the aforementioned limits, then you will have to purchase a separate seat to carry in it the cabin.
- If an additional seat is booked, then the instrument’s dimension and weight can be up to 110 x 42 x 50 cm and 165 lbs respectively.
- You can also check in your musical instrument as an additional item of baggage as long as it complies with the excess baggage dimensions.
In order to guarantee your safety on board, the transport of certain items either in checked baggage or in your carry-on baggage is not permitted, as per Lufthansa Airlines baggage policy. That’s why it is important to learn about such items and pack accordingly before your departure.
For safety reasons following items are prohibited from carriage either as carry-on or in the checked baggage :
- Caustic materials, such as acids, alkalis, wet cell batteries
- Containers with gas like self-defense sprays
- Containers with flammable liquids
- Petrol-operated equipment and tools
- Camping stoves, gas cylinders, filled scuba tanks
- Explosives, fireworks, flares
- Electroshock weapons, e.g. stun guns (tasers)
- Poisonous and infectious substances
- Heat-generating objects
- Oxygen generators, liquid oxygen
- Materials that are easily ignited
- Battery-powered means of transportation
- Oxidizing substances
- Substances that emit flammable gasses upon contact with water
- Security bags or briefcases with lithium batteries or pyrotechnic devices
- Radioactive materials and items
- Strongly magnetic materials
- Dry ice in excess of 5.5 lbs
The following may be allowed either as carry-on or as checked baggage, but with some restrictions:
- Portable medical electronic devices
- Portable electronic devices with lithium-ion batteries
- Portable electronic devices with non-spillable batteries
- Portable oxygen concentrators
- Heat-generating items
- Wheelchairs and other mobility aids with non-spillable batteries
- Wheelchairs and other mobility aids with lithium-ion batteries
- Diving / snorkeling equipment
- Oxygen (gaseous)
- Gas cylinders, non-flammable, non-toxic
- Gas cartridges, non-flammable, non-toxic
- Avalanche rescue backpacks
- Thermometers (medical or clinical)
- Non-infectious specimens/samples packed with small quantities of flammable liquids
- Fuel cell systems and spare fuel cartridges
- Safety matches and lighters
- Permeation devices
- Medicinal or toiletry items
- Curling tongs
- Dry ice (carbon dioxide, solid) up to 5.5 lbs
- Chemical agent monitoring equipment
- Firearms and ammunition
- Alcoholic beverages
- Television sets
How early can I check my luggage, if I am traveling with Lufthansa Airlines?
Lufthansa Airlines allows passengers to check in at least 3-4 hours prior to the scheduled departure of all flights.
How many free checked baggage can I carry with Lufthansa Airlines?
Lufthansa Airlines will allow free checked baggage of up to 50 lbs, depending upon your cabin class and destination.
What is the Lufthansa Airlines baggage fee?
Lufthansa Airlines charges an additional and excess baggage fee depending upon flight route and cabin class.
What should I do if my baggage is delayed or damaged?
If your luggage is delayed or damaged, you can go to the Lufthansa Airlines baggage counter or visit the airline’s website to report the issue. If the luggage is damaged or lost and the airline is responsible, then they will reimburse you.
What is Lufthansa Airlines carry-on baggage policy ?
Lufthansa Airlines baggage policy allows carry-on baggage, depending upon cabin class.
Can you check more than two bags in Lufthansa Airlines?
Lufthansa Airlines allows two checked bags for business class and 3 checked bags for First class on all intercontinental flight routes.
How can I pay the Lufthansa Airlines baggage fee?
Lufthansa Airlines allows you to pay your baggage fee both at the airport counter and online via the official website.
Can I carry my pet on the Lufthansa Airlines flight?
Yes, Lufthansa Airlines only allows household dogs and cats in the passenger cabin. The pet must be kept in a pet carrier, under its owner's responsibility.
What is Lufthansa Airlines baggage allowance for infants?
As per Lufthansa Airlines baggage policy, infants are allowed one piece of baggage weighing up to 50 lbs, a car seat, and a foldable stroller.
Is Lufthansa Airlines a good airline?
Lufthansa Airlines is Certified as a 4-Star Airline for the quality of its airport and onboard product and staff service. It promises unmatched reliability and great comfort while traveling, besides ensuring great customer services.