Book Cheap Flights- Save Huge
About United Airlines
Flight booking might be an easy process. But have you ever thought about the scenarios when you have to cancel your flights? Obviously cancellation and other procedures will make you skeptical. Fortunately, to make it easier for the passengers, several airlines are constantly working to upgrade their policies. If you have booked a ticket with United, then things would be easier for you. However, it’s best to take a full read of United Airlines cancellation and refund policy before planning to cancel your tickets.
United Airlines is a major flag carrier airline of the USA and is headquartered at Willis Tower in Chicago. It was founded in 1926 and is a founding member of Star Airline Alliance. The airline has a total of eight hubs across the nation with its primary hub at the Chicago O’Hare International Airport. Being the third largest airline of the world, it serves 238 domestic destinations and 118 international destinations in 48 countries worldwide.
United Airlines Cancellation Policy
Planning to cancel your United(UA) flight? Don’t worry! With United Airlines you are fully covered. Whether it’s about canceling a flight right after booking or at the last minute, the airline has an optimum clause for all such cases. Not only is the United cancellation policy seamless, but also ensures satisfactory and effortless experience to all the passengers. So, check out our guide to find in-depth information about cancellation and refund with United.
United Airlines 24 Hours Cancellation Policy
Fortunately, the United 24 hours cancellation policy is applicable on all tickets. This means, if you cancel your flights within 24 hours of booking, you are eligible for full refund. However, it’s best that you check out the following points to avoid any chances of confusion.
- If a United Airlines flight is canceled within 24 hours of booking, then the airline will not charge any cancellation fee.
- To be eligible for the 24 hours cancellation policy, you must have booked your flights at least 7 days prior to the departure date.
- After 24 hours from booking, a cancellation fee is charged, depending upon the type of the tickets.
- The policy is applied to both restricted and unlimited flight rates.
United Cancellation Policy for Refundable and Non-Refundable Tickets
- All the passengers are entitled to a full refund until the risk-free period lasts.
- Passengers with non-refundable tickets, won’t receive any refund after the 24-hours risk-free period.
- You will get a full refund with premium cabin ticket fares, irrespective of refundable and non-refundable tickets.
- A penalty will be charged, if you cancel your tickets 2-3 days or a few hours prior to the scheduled departure.
- In case, if flight cancellation occurs due to uncertain natural calamities or due to the airline’s fault, then the passengers will receive full refund or an alternative flight for another day.
United Airlines Cancellation Policy for Different Class
United cancellation and refund policy varies differently depending upon the ticket fare and cabin class. For more relevant information, check out these points explaining the policy.
Basic Economy Class
- The tickets in economy class are non-refundable. Hence, it’s best to book a refundable ticket if there might be a chance that you will cancel your flight.
- If you cancel a non-refundable economy flight after the risk-free period, then a cancellation fee of USD 100-USD 400 will be charged.
Premium Economy Class
- An United economy class ticket allows you to make changes to your tickets, provided that you make these changes within the risk-free period. However, after the 24-hours cancellation period, the cancellation fee will be charged.
- The cancellation fee applicable after 24 hours of booking will be USD 100-USD 400, as per the cancellation policy of United Airlines.
United First Class
- A United first class flight ticket allows you to make changes for free within 24 hours of booking. However, a cancellation fee is charged after the risk-period.
- All refundable tickets canceled after the risk-period are entitled of a fee of about USD 100-USD 400.
United Business Class
- A United business class flight ticket allows you to make changes for free within 24 hours of booking. However, a cancellation fee is charged after the risk-period.
- All refundable tickets canceled after the risk-period are entitled of a fee of about USD 100-USD 400, as per the United cancellation and refund policy.
United Premium Class
- A United premium class flight ticket allows you to make changes without paying any extra cost even after the risk-free period, or if you miss your flight.
- All refundable tickets will be fully compensated. However, if the earlier paid fare is invalid for new tickets, you might be required to pay an extra amount.
How to Get Compensation In Case of Flight Delay or Cancellation?
According to United Airlines flight cancellation policy, if your flight gets delayed or canceled due to any natural calamities or because of the airline’s fault, then the passengers are entitled to get compensation depending upon the ticket type and other factors.
- Passengers are entitled to compensation when the flight is delayed due to the fault of the airline.
- Depending on the type of ticket, passengers can avail a monetary compensation of upto USD 600.
- In case of flight delay/cancellation or other unexpected circumstances, passengers are entitled to a single free of charge phone call or fax transmission.
- If the flight gets delayed for more than three hours, passengers are eligible for meals and drinks corresponding to the waiting time and the time of day, irrespective of type of their ticket.
- If the flight is delayed by two hours, then passengers are offered drinks, irrespective of the type of their ticket.
- If the flight is delayed for six hours or more during the night, or eight hours or more during the day, United provides checked-in passengers with hotel accommodation as per requirement.
- Up to USD 238 for all flights covering a distance of up to 1,500 km.
- Up to USD 379 for all flights covering a distance between 1,500 and 3,500 km.
- Up to USD 573 for flights covering a distance greater than 3,500 km.
How to Cancel a United Airlines Flight?
United cancellation and refund policy allows you to cancel your flights seamlessly. You can cancel either by visiting the airline’s official website or by contacting the customer support / airport’s ticket office. Here’s how you can cancel your United flights:
Method 1- Cancel Online
- You can simply cancel your flights online from the airline’s official website.
- Open any web browser and visit United website’s homepage.
- After logging in, add your ticket credentials to manage your booking and make cancellation.
- After getting on the cancellation page, click on the ‘change or cancel trip’ button.
- Select the passenger segment or flight you would like to cancel.
- Review United cancellation policy once to avoid any misunderstanding. The next page will direct you to the ‘flight refund cancellation’ entitled by the airline.
- Click on ‘Confirm my cancellation’.
- You will receive a confirmation mail regarding the cancellation.
Method 2- Cancel Over Call
- In this method, you can make a call to customer support of the airline. The toll free number of United is: 800-864-8331.
- If you have any queries regarding the cancellation or refund, you can raise a question in front of the agent.
- Tell the customer support executive, whether you want to make changes or cancel your flight.
- The agent will ask you about the ticket related information, provided during the booking. Provide all relevant information to make the process easier.
- Choose a payment method if you have to pay a cancellation fee for United flights.
- The airline will send a confirmation mail regarding the cancellation.
United Airlines Cancellation Fee
United Airlines has permanently removed the flight change fees for domestic flights within the USA. However, if you cancel your flights, you might be required to pay a cancellation fee of around USD 100-USD 400, depending upon the ticket fare type.
The cancellation fee is imposed if a flight is canceled after 24 hours of booking. The cancellation fee also depends on the fare regulations that apply to your booking. If your ticket is eligible for a refund, the airline will initiate the refundable amount within 7-10 days. The airline may also offer you a credit voucher, which will be valid for 365 days from cancellation.
United Airlines Refund Policy
- As per United cancellation and refund policy the passenger is eligible for refund if the flight is canceled within 24 hours from booking, irrespective of the ticket type.
- The refund will be generated back to the original source of the payment.
- If cancellation is made within 24 hours then the refund will be credited within 7-10 working days. However, passengers who purchased the ticket via cash or cheque need to wait for 20 to 25 business days.
- The non-refundable tickets are not eligible for any refund after the 24-hours risk-free period is over.
- Passengers who are affected by the flight cancellation due to severe weather conditions or government travel restrictions can claim a refund.
- If you cancel flights three or two days before the scheduled departure, then you are not eligible for refund even with refundable tickets. Instead, the airline has full authority to charge the complete ticket fare as penalty.
How to Get Refund from United Airlines (UA)?
There are two ways you can request for a refund- online and offline.
- Visit United’s official website.
- Enter your log-in information to sign-in to your account.
- Click the ‘Manage My Booking’ option.
- Enter your cancel booking information
- Open your canceled ticket
- Go to the bottom of the respective page, where you will find the ‘Refund’ option
- Click on it and refill all the required information and apply for the refund.
- Call United’s customer support number based on your language and region
- Click on the correct button to talk with an agent
- Share the required information with United’s expert agent
- Request for a refund
United Customer Support Number for Cancellation and Refund Related Queries
There’s a different United customer support number, depending upon the region. Check out the list of the important phone numbers required to cancel tickets or claim a refund.
- United States: 1 800 864 8331
- North America
Canada: +1 800 864 8331
Mexico: 55 5283 5500
- Latin America
Aruba: 800 1507
Bahamas: 800-UNITED-1 (800 864 8331)
Barbados: 800-UNITED-1 (800 864 8331)
Bermuda: 800 231 0856
Cayman Islands: 800 231 0856
Cuba: 119 1847 700 2822
Dominican Republic: 1 800 148 5295
Puerto Rico: 800-UNITED-1
St. Lucia: 800-UNITED-1
St. Maarten: 001 800 864 8331
Trinidad & Tobago: 800 461 2744
U.S. Virgin Islands: 800 231 0856
United Kingdom: 0845-607-6760
Japan: 813 6732 5011
South Korea: 02 751 0300
Can I get a full refund if I cancel my flight?
Yes, You can get a full refund if you cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking. The cancellation would be applicable on all fares except for Basic and Classic fares, where passengers are not eligible for a refund.
How much is the cancellation fee for United?
The United flight cancellation fee is USD 100-USD 500 and would be applicable after 24 hours from the date of booking. However, your eligibility criteria for a refund or credit voucher depends on the fare rules applied to your flight booking.
Does Canceling a flight give you a refund?
The refund policy of United depends on the type of ticket you purchased. If the ticket meets all the requirements, you will receive an amount as refund.
Can I cancel my United reservation for free within 24hours?
If the passenger cancels his/her booking within 24hours from the date of purchase, they do not have to incur any cancellation fee. However, the departure date must be 7days or more at the time of initiating the cancellation request.
How to get a refund with a non-refundable ticket?
To get a refund for a non-refundable ticket, you must cancel your booking within the specified time. If the passenger fails to initiate the flight booking cancellation within the allotted time frame, then the airline may charge the total ticket fare as a cancellation fee.
Do I get a refund if my flight is canceled?
You are eligible for a refund if the airline fails to provide flight service. However, the refund amount depends on cancellation, destination, technical glitch, and many other reasons.
Can I make a cancellation request on the day of departure?
United allows you to cancel your booking on the same day of departure. You have to pay a cancellation fee, and the amount will depend on ticket class, reason, and many other factors.
What are the easiest ways to cancel my United flight ticket?
You can easily cancel your United flight by visiting the official website of the airline. You can also call the customer support number or visit the airline counter at the airport.
Is it possible to make flight changes on United?
Yes, United allows its passengers to make changes in their bookings depending upon the ticket type.
What will I do if United cancels my flight?
In case United cancels your flight or denies you boarding, the airline compensates for the inconvenience.
United Airlines Popular Destinations
United Airlines Popular Routes
- Cheap flights from Chicago to Newark
- Cheap flights from Washungton to Quito
- Cheap flights from Denver to Paris
- Cheap flights from Seattle to Phoenix
- Cheap flights from Rio de Janeiro to Chicago
- Cheap flights from Houston to Bogota
- Cheap flights from Paris to Denver