Book Cheap Flights- Save Huge
About United Airlines
Worried about your minor child traveling alone? Don’t be. With United Airlines, you can be assured, since the airline promises to provide utmost safety and added entertainment options for such passengers. Additionally, the United Airlines unaccompanied minor policy includes certain regulations which the parent and the child must comply with for a hassle-free journey. Being one of the largest airlines in America, it cares for the passengers traveling with them and their goal is to make sure everyone stays safe and knows what to expect.
United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Rules
In accordance with United Airlines unaccompanied minor guidelines, the youngsters will be provided with a safe and comfortable journey when they’re traveling alone. Whether they’re flying to attend the summer camp, sports tournament or visiting a family member, with United Airlines they would surely be in safe hands. Let’s understand all the rules and restrictions that you need to know before booking a flight for your kid.
- Children between 5 – 14 years old traveling without an adult guardian or a parent on the same flight must be reserved under the Unaccompanied Minor service.
- Children under the age of 5 cannot travel as unaccompanied minors even if they are flying with the eligible unaccompanied minor child.
- Young adults between the ages of 15 and 17 can fly alone on any United or United Express aircraft or use the United Airlines unaccompanied minor service.
- When two or more kids who are on the same booking travel together, the age of the youngest kid determines whether the minors will require the United unaccompanied minor service.
- Children under the age of 5 years must travel with a passenger who is at least 18 years of age or older.
- If a 15-17-year-old chooses the unaccompanied minor service and is going with another youngster, make sure to book their flights on the same reservation so that the combined United Airline unaccompanied minor fee is applied.
United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Program Details
- A fee of USD 150 will be charged for booking a ticket for unaccompanied minors. If two unaccompanied minors are traveling together, the parent must combine their booking so that a combined fee can be charged.
- In accordance with United Airlines unaccompanied minor policy, the ticket of unaccompanied minors includes a seat, complimentary food (if available), and pre-boarding facility.
- United Airlines allows unaccompanied minors for only nonstop flights whether domestic or international destination.
- United unaccompanied minor service is available only on nonstop United and United Express flights. The said service is not available on the codeshare or interline flight partners.
- Unaccompanied Minors cannot check in online or with the mobile app. The parent / guardian must accompany the Unaccompanied Minor to the check-in counter.
Unaccompanied Minor Travel Guide
For your unaccompanied minor to travel safely with the airline, it’s important that they comply with airline’s guidelines and follow necessary steps to avoid any chances of chaos. In return, United Airlines will ensure that your kid reaches the said destination safely and will handover the minor only to the certified parent / guardian. Here are some regulations of this policy:
How to book
You can make a reservation for your kid in 2 ways, either online (official website) or through phone.
- Booking Online
Visit the airline’s official website and do the following steps–
- Using the advanced search feature, alter the number of adults to 0 from the default setting of 1.
- Then, select the number of children traveling and based on their ages on the day they’ll be traveling, mention each child’s age range.
- Select the flights, and at the checkout page, pay the levied United unaccompanied minor fee on top of the airfare.
- Booking via call
- Make a call to the United Airlines customer support and a reservation specialist will assist you.
- The agent will ask for important info such as who is dropping your child off and will greet him upon arrival.
- This information must be included when booking your child’s flight, but if anything changes, you can call the United customer service to update before the scheduled departure.
- After your booking is processed, you will be asked to pay a fee of USD 150 and a service fee of USD 25 on top of the flight’s fare.
- The airline will choose a seat for your child so that they may receive the attention and assistance they require from the cabin crew.
Even if your kids have flown alone before, we have a few tips to make sure they’re prepared, in accordance with United unaccompanied minor policy:
- Write down any phone numbers they may need, including yours and the adult meeting them on the other end of their flight.
- Make sure they know to wait on the plane for a United team member to walk with them.
- If your kids have a tablet or phone, make sure it’s fully charged in case they aren’t sitting next to an outlet.
- If your kids are flying internationally, they will have to fill an international arrival form and submit it before clearing customs.
- Pack some games or books so that your child remains occupied on board.
Required Id and Documents for Unaccompanied Minors
As per the United Airlines unaccompanied minor policy, Children ages 5 to 14 traveling alone are not required to produce identification at the time of check-in, but they are requested to carry some form of identification during their trip. In addition, children ages 15 and 17 years old need one of the following travel documents –
- Driver’s license
- School ID
- Employee ID
- Library card
- Credit card
- Birth certificate
- Social security card
- Proof of auto insurance under the minor’s name.
Boarding and drop off
- Kids have to check in at the airport ticket counter when traveling alone.
- The airline will verify the information of the adult designated to drop off the child at the airport. The information will be added to the reservation details.
- A minor flying alone would be offered a wristband and bag tags so that the airline staff can clearly identify them during the journey.
- A special envelope will be provided by the airline where the child can keep their travel documents safe and handy.
- Parents / guardians will receive a special phone number to contact the airline when the child boards the flight.
Passing through security
- After the check-in will be completed, the parent / guardian will receive the gate pass and the pass for the child to pass through the gate.
- Introduce them to the United Airlines’ staff, and inform them that the passenger is the unaccompanied minor.
- If they’re flying for an international destination, an agent will meet you at the ticket counter and take them.
Boarding the plane
- Stay at the airport until your kids’ flight takes off, whether you went through security with them or not.
- In accordance with United Airlines unaccompanied minor guidelines, such passengers get to board their flight first, meet the pilots, and be shown to their seat.
During the flight
- The flight’s attendant will check on your kids throughout the flight. The attendants are just a call button away, if they need anything.
- United recommends that you pack snacks for your kids, as long as they meet TSA guidelines. They’ll also get one complimentary snack on the plane.
- Unaccompanied minors will also get a lot of options of entertainment. The United app has free kids shows and movies.
Arrival and Pick up
- Once your kids get to the arrival airport, they should wait on the plane for an agent to come get them.
- The agent will bring your kids to the person picking them up, whether it’s you or someone else. How that works depends on if they’re flying domestically or internationally.
- If they are arriving from a domestic destination, you must get a gate pass at the ticket counter to go through security and pick up your kids at their arrival gate. You’ll need to be at the gate 30 minutes before their arrival time.
- In case the unaccompanied minor is arriving from the airport outside the United States and involves a custom/immigration process, you need to pick them up outside the baggage claim area.
United unaccompanied minor fees
As per the United unaccompanied minor policy, a service charge of USD 150 each way is charged for all kids 5-11 traveling alone. This includes the additional services provided by the United flight attendants and airport staff.
|Number of minors flying unaccompanied||Service fee for a one-way flight||Service fee for roundtrip flights|
|1||USD 150||USD 300|
|2||USD 150||USD 300|
|3||USD 300||USD 600|
|4||USD 300||USD 600|
|5||USD 450||USD 900|
|6||USD 450||USD 900|
One of the biggest hurdles that a parent may come across is the choice of airline when their kid has to travel alone. If you prefer convenient and safe travel for your child, then you must sign up for United airlines unaccompanied minor travel program.
Does United Airlines allow unaccompanied minors on-board?
United allows unaccompanied minors on-board. However, the minors of age 5-11 must provide some form of identification during the trip.
Where can I pay the Unaccompanied Minors service charge for my child?
You can pay the Unaccompanied Minors service charge for your child online or by call.
Can an Unaccompanied Minor travel alone on United a flight that changes planes?
No, United Airlines allows Unaccompanied Minors to travel only on nonstop flights, whether domestic or international.
How much is United unaccompanied minor fee?
The unaccompanied minor fee is USD 150 per way for every two minors traveling with United Airlines.
Can unaccompanied minors on United Airlines travel internationally?
Yes, United Airlines allows unaccompanied minors to travel alone to / from international destinations, provided they are nonstop flights.
Are children older than 11 allowed to travel as unaccompanied minors?
United’s Unaccompanied Minor service is mandatory for children aged 5-14. For minors of age 15-17 have an option to either travel as unaccompanied minor or as an adult.
Can I book a reservation for my unaccompanied minors at the airport?
No, the reservation of unaccompanied minors can only be made online or via call.
At what age can unaccompanied minors travel with United Airlines?
All kids under age 5 to 14 are allowed to travel with United as unaccompanied minors.
Can I escort my child through the security check at the airport?
You can purchase an escort pass from the ticket counter and take your child through the security gate and hand them over to the concerned airline’s representative.
Are any onboard services provided to unaccompanied minors?
Yes, the unaccompanied minors are offered complimentary snacks and entertainment options during the flight.
United Airlines Popular Routes
United Airlines Popular Destinations
- Cheap flights from Chicago to Newark
- Cheap flights from Washungton to Quito
- Cheap flights from Denver to Paris
- Cheap flights from Seattle to Phoenix
- Cheap flights from Rio de Janeiro to Chicago
- Cheap flights from Houston to Bogota
- Cheap flights from Paris to Denver