Book Cheap Flights- Save Huge
Delta offers special facilities to the unaccompanied minor traveling with the airline. It takes all necessary measures to ensure the safety and comfortability of its minor passengers. Which is why you need to understand Delta unaccompanied minor policy if your little one is traveling with the airline all alone.
Delta considers children less than 18 years old as minor. To ensure their safety, Delta offers features like traceable wristband, personal escort for children, and SkyZone lounge. Hence, as a parent you do not have to worry about your kid traveling alone with Delta.
Delta Unaccompanied Minor Rules
When children travel alone with Delta, the airline ensures the child is having the best travel experience, with utmost comfortability and security. Once your kid reaches the airport, from then it’s the airline’s responsibility to take care of the kid until he / she reaches the final destination and departs from the airport. Hence, check out unaccompanied minor Delta rules.
- Four children aged between 5-14 years, will receive an employee escort and other special amenities for a fee of US $ 150.
- Children between 15 to 17 can receive the same facility on guardian’s request.
- Unaccompanied minors on Delta, receive barcoded wristbands that track their entire journey.
- If the guardian wants, they can escort the unaccompanied minor to the gate area through security.
- At some particular airports, unaccompanied minors have access to Delta Sky Zone, a kids-only lounge with video games, snacks, and a secure area to hang out between flights.
- Children aged between 15 to 17 are permitted to travel as standard passengers, provided they can present valid ID proof to security personnel at the airport.
Delta Unaccompanied Minor Program Details
|Child Age||Travel Permitted / Not Permitted||Fee|
|4 years and younger||Must be accompanied by an adult at least 18 years old||N/A|
|5-7 years old||May travel on some non-stop flights only||US $ 150 each way for up to 4 children|
|8-14 years old||May travel on some non-stop connecting flights||US $ 150 each way for up to 4 children|
|15-17 years old, who have opted to travel as unaccompanied minor||May travel on non-stop connecting flights||US $ 150 each way for up to 4 children|
Unaccompanied Minor Travel Guide
Before you book a flight for your child, who needs to travel alone, it is essential to know the complete guideline. Delta accepts Delta unaccompanied minors on board. An adult must accompany the child to the departure gate and remain there until the flight takes off. If the child is traveling on a connecting flight, Delta or its business partner will assist the child. For a more detailed information, read below:
How to Book?
To book a reservation for an unaccompanied minor, you must contact reservations at 800-325-8847. Check if your child is eligible to travel alone. Once you make the reservation, the airline will provide you with a 4-digit PIN configuration, which will be required to make any changes in the itinerary.
Getting Ready to Fly
If your child has any special needs, inform the airline during the reservation. Furthermore, tell your child to speak only with the Delta representatives for anything and ask them not to leave the gate area at any time. Before you pack for your child, remember to pack the following things:
- Snacks, games, books, and other entertainment.
- A single, small carry-on backpack
- A checked suitcase
- An ID card and contact information attached to your child’s carry-on bag or jacket
- Photo ID (license, passport, etc.)
- Address (as shown in the ID)
- Contact phone number
- Name, address, and contact number of the adult picking-up the child from the final airport.
Boarding & Take Off
An adult must take the minor to the departure gate and remain there until the flight takes off. In case the minor is traveling on a connecting flight, the airline crew will assist them. Furthermore, for more personal assistance, book the seat of the minor in the rear of the aircraft to be near a flight attendant.
If you have any concern, you can directly contact Delta at 800-325-8847, for flights to / from / within the US, US Virgin Islands, Canada, Guam, and Puerto Rico.
For others visit Delta Air Lines official website.
The adult picking-up the child from the final airport must present a valid ID and signature. Delta will not surrender the child to anyone other than the person named. Parents or the adult must report to the destination airport at least 2 hours before the flight lands, and obtain a gate pass. The other important process are as follows:
- If in any case the pick-up person changes, the accompanying person must inform Delta at 800-325-8847 to provide the new details.
- If upon arrival another person other than the person named at checked-in, then Delta representatives will contact the original accompanying adult to verify the identification of the pick-up person.
- The pick-up person must obtain a gate-pass to pick-up the minor.
Delta SkyZone Program for Unaccompanied Minors
On some particular routes, Delta provides the unaccompanied minor with a SkyZone lounge. If the unaccompanied child has a connecting flight through Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, New York (JFK), Los Angeles, Memphis, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City, and Seattle, Delta offers a plethora of entertainment activities through its SkyZone program.
It allows the unaccompanied minor to be in the children-only safe zone areas, and use complimentary phone calls to their parent or guardian, and enjoy reading books, playing toys, and video games.
Unaccompanied Minor Program Fees
Delta unaccompanied minor fee is US$ 150 each way that applies to travel within the United States, and internationally, on both non-stop and connecting flights.
- The fee US$ 150 is mandatory for children ages between 5-17 years old, if they are traveling under Delta unaccompanied minor policy.
- The fee covers up to 4 children, if they are traveling together.
- The fee can be paid as one-way or round trip at the time of check-in or in advance by calling Delta reservation.
- Unaccompanied minors must be ticketed on adult fare.
- Unaccompanied minors are permitted to travel alone only on Delta and Delta Connections.
- Travel is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
- Unaccompanied minors on connecting flights can connect to only Delta, Delta Connection, KLM, and Air France flights.
- Unaccompanied minors are not allowed to travel on the last connecting flights of the day.
- Travel is not permitted on Red Eye Flights that travel between 09:00 pm to 05:00 am. However, exceptions will be acceptable, if a qualifying connecting flight is not available from the airport:
- International flights
- Domestic short-haul flights
- Flights to / from Alaska and Hawaii
Delta Air Lines is one of the few international airlines that offers a simple, smooth, safe, and comfortable travel experience to its minor passengers. And when it comes to unaccompanied minors traveling on Delta, the airline takes extra measures to ensure safety of the children. Even before surrendering the children by an adult, who comes to pick-up the child, Delta contacts the original accompanying adult to ensure extra security. If your child is traveling alone too, this Delta unaccompanied minor policy will guide you.
Does Delta allow unaccompanied minors on-board?
Delta allows unaccompanied minors on-board. However, the minor must present valid documents, such as Id card with photos, passports, etc.
How much is the Delta unaccompanied minor fee?
The Delta unaccompanied minor fee is US$ 150 each way that applies to travel within the United States, and internationally, on both non-stop and connecting flights. This fee covers up to 4 children traveling together.
Who will transfer my child from flight to flight?
A badged employee of Delta Air Line will escort your unaccompanied child. If the child is traveling on a short connecting flight, the employee will escort the child directly to the connecting departure. If the layover is long, then the child will have access to Delta’s SkyZone lounge. A Delta representative will keep the child’s documents until it is time to board the connecting flight.
What happens if the unaccompanied minor’s flight is delayed or canceled?
If the unaccompanied minor’s flight is not operated as scheduled, the airline will rebook your child on the next available departing flight. The Delta escort will stay with the child until the child boards on an alternate flight. Furthermore, the airline will contact the picking-up adult and inform them of the new schedule.
Can unaccompanied minors on Delta travel internationally?
Yes. Unaccompanied minors can travel internationally. However, it sometimes depends on the country where the child is traveling to.
What is the procedure to board the Delta flight for an unaccompanied minor?
A Delta Air Lines employee will take over your child from you at the gate before general boarding begins. It allows the employee to introduce your child with the flight attendants, and cockpit crew. One of the flight attendants will take the child to the seat and help them with their carry-on bags. The flight attendant will familiarize your child with the aircraft’s safety features.
How to book a flight for an unaccompanied minor?
To make a reservation for an unaccompanied minor traveling on a Delta flight, the adult must contact reservations at 800-325-8847. Once you make the reservation, the airline will provide you with a 4-digit PIN configuration, which will be required to make any changes in the itinerary.
At what age minors can travel alone on a Delta flight?
Minors aged between 5 to 17 years old are allowed to travel alone on a Delta flight.
Can the adult board the flight with the minor?
Adults not accompanying the child are not allowed to board the flight. They must hand over the child to a Delta representative at the departure gate.
Delta Airlines Popular Destinations
Delta Airlines Popular Routes
- Cheap flights from Denver to Boston
- Cheap flights from Houston to New York
- Cheap flights from Buenos Aires to Cancun
- Cheap flights from Dallas to Atlanta
- Cheap flights from Montevideo to Mexico City
- Cheap flights from Minneapolis to Paris
- Cheap flights from Chicago to San Francisco
- Cheap flights from Los Angeles to Miami