Book Cheap Flights- Save Huge
Avianca baggage policy is similar to other big and major air carriers. The airline allows its passengers to bring one carry-on baggage and one personal item in the cabin for free. Its baggage allowance is more flexible than most airlines. However, the size,shape,weight, and height of the luggage may vary depending on the faretype you have purchased. Here, we will discuss the various aspects of Avianca’s baggage policy.
Avianca Airlines, the flag carrier of Colombia, was founded in 1919 as SCADTA, and commenced its operation in 1940 as Avainca. Being the largest airline in Colombia and second-largest in Latin America, Avianca covers 63 destinations globally and serves millions of passengers annually. To make travel convenient and flexible for its passengers, Avianca has kept its policy simple and easy for everyone. So, if you have booked an Avianca flight, it is wise to know some of your basic rights as well as the airline’s policies.
Avianca Baggage Allowance Policy
Before you pack your bag, it is better to understand how much the airline allows you to bring. To make travel comfortable, Avianca Airlines baggage allowance allows various types of luggage, which depends on the route and cabin class. To know more about it, read below:
- The luggage allowance depends on the date of travel, origin, destination, and fare type.
- Additional baggage fees are subject to taxes established by the origin country.
- All baggage exceeding the maximum size and weight limitation will be subject to space availability in the aircraft. The airline will charge additional baggage fees for extra luggage.
- Excess carry-on baggage are subject to being checked and charged as additional baggage.
Avianca Carry-On Allowance
Avianca passengers are allowed to carry one hand luggage and one personal item, which must not weigh more than 10 kgs. In addition, the external dimension must not exceed 115 centimeters. The personal item includes a hand purse, camera, binoculars, blanket, walking cane, laptop, and items consumed by the infant passengers during the flight, bay cot,etc.
On all flights (except for the flights to.from the USA), LifeMiles Gold and Diamond members, and Star Alliance Gold status passengers traveling on business class, are allowed to carry one additional bag of the same weight and dimension.
Avianca Checked Baggage Allowance
Avianca Airlines checked baggage allowance depends on the travel class. However, in general, for all destinations, the maximum checked baggage weight is 23kgs for Economy Class, and 32kgs for Business Class. However, it applies only to XXL fare. The dimension of the checked baggage must not exceed 158 dimensional centimeters.
Here are some checked baggage policies for domestic and international flights.
- For Business Class passengers, 2 pieces of luggage with a maximum combined weight of 32kgs and the total dimension should not exceed 158 centimeters.
- For Economy Class passengers are allowed to bring 2 pieces of luggage with a maximum combined weight of 23kgs and a total dimension should not exceed 158 centimeters.
Avianca Airlines Baggage Allowance for Infants
On all Avianca flights, infants not occupying a seat are allowed the below mentioned Avainca checked baggage allowance.
- For flights to/from Europe, 2 pieces of checked baggage up to 23 kgs/each are allowed
- For all other destinations, only 1 bag up to 10 kgs is allowed.
In addition, on aircraft A330 and B787, you are allowed to bring a cradle for babies not more than a year old. The cradle must weigh up to 11 kgs and measure less than 74 centimeters.
If you pay for the infant’s seat, then Avianca will apply the baggage allowance according to the cabin class in which you are traveling.
Avianca Airline Pet Policy
Avianca only allows dogs, cats, and small ornamental birds in cabins on domestic flights within Colombia. The airline doesn’t accept other pets as checked or carry-on baggage. Here are some important notes:
- For a four-hour flight, the pet must not weigh more than 10kgs, excluding the carrier.
- For all other flights, the pet must not weigh more than 20 kgs, excluding the carrier.
- The measurements of the case should be 40.6 centimeters long 27.9 centimeters wide 20.3 centimeters high.
- The rules are exceptional for service dogs.
- Only one support dog is allowed, with no container.
- The height of the assistant dog must not exceed 20 centimeters.
- 2 service dogs are allowed per person.
Avianca Airlines Damaged or Delayed Baggage Policy
Avianca Airlines’ lost and delayed baggage policy states that in case of lost, damaged, or delayed baggage you are entitled to get assistance from the airline.
- No damage or missing baggage complaint will be entertained after 7 days of arrival or after the baggage has been removed from the airport and/or from the facility.
- No looting complaints will be allowed, when you arrive at the airport on another airline.
- For damaged luggage, report to the ‘Baggage Service Office’ at the airport. If the airline is responsible for the damaged luggage, you will be compensated.
Overweight Baggage Fees
If you happen to bring extra luggage or your luggage exceeds the limit, then you have to pay an additional fee. For further details, read below:
- On flights within Colombia, the overweight baggage fee is COP 5,000/additional kilo.
- On flights to/from the USA, Canada, and Mexico ,any bag between 23 kgs and 32kgs is considered overweight. You have to pay COP 15,000.
- Any bag between 32kgs and 45kgs will be charged COP 20,000.
- On international flights to/from Spain, the passenger has to pay between COP 10,000 to COP 12,000 any bag between 23kgs and 32 kgs.
- On international flights Latin America, the following fees will be applicable:
- The first baggage weighing between 23 kgs and 32kgs will be charged COP 15,000.
- Baggage between 32kgs and 45kgs will be charged COP 52,000.
- The second baggage weighing less than 23kgs, will be charged USD 7,500 per bag.
Oversize Baggage Fees
- For flights within Colombia, any oversize baggage will be charged COP 100,000 per bag.
- On international flights to/from the USA, Canada, and Mexico, oversize baggage will be charged COP 100,500.
- On international flights to/from Spain, oversize baggage will be charged COP 100,000 to 200,500.
- On international flights within Latin America, oversize baggage will be charged COP 100,400.
Excess Baggage Fees
If you have extra luggage, then you have to pay an Aeromexico baggage fee. The fee depends on the destinations and fare type. Check out:
- For flights within Colombia, an additional luggage will be charged between COP 100,000 to COP 200,000.
- For international flights to/from the USA, Canada, and Mexico, the airline will charge between COP 100,000/bag for extra luggage, whose dimensions are between 158 centimeters and 230 centimeters.
- On international flights to/from Spain, any extra luggage whose dimensions are between 158 centimeters to 200 centimeters, the passenger must have to incur COP 100,000.
- On international flights within Latin America, any extra luggage whose dimensions are between 158 centimeters to 200 centimeters, the passenger must incur a fee of COP 500,400/bag.
Exclusions & Waivers
If you have LifeMiles status (Gold, Silver, and Diamond), and Star Alliance Gold level, you are entitled to some specific exceptions on Avianca checked baggage allowance. Let’s check out.
- LifeMiles Diamond & Gold/Star Alliance Gold
- Economy: 2 additional 23 kgs bags
- Business: 1 additional 23 kgs bags
- LifeMiles Silver
- Economy: 1 additional 23 kgs bags
Avianca allows its passengers to bring some specific sports equipment. Here are some sports articles you are allowed to bring.
Items you can carry in the cabin
- Bowling equipment: You are allowed to carry a bowling case, bowling balls, and shoes.
- Tennis equipment: You can carry your racquet packed in the bag, designed to carry it.
- Fishing equipment: You are allowed to bring a pair of boots, a net, and two fishing rods.
- Archery equipment: You are allowed to bring a bow and arrows, transported in the appropriate packaging.
Items you can carry in the hold
- Ski luggage: A pair of skis or snowboards, two poles, boots, and shoes. It must measure up to 230 linear centimeters.
- Hang Glider: One glider, one harness, and the metal structure to hold the glider. In each bag, a 5 meter long wing is allowed, and it must not weigh more than 23 kgs.
- Surf: You are allowed to bring three surfboards for a fee. The length of the bag must be up to 3.7 meters.
- Diving equipment: You can carry an air regulator, an empty tank, two rubber fins, a conventional speargun, a mask, a snorkel, a rubber suit, a weight belt, and high intensity underwater lamps.
- Golf/Polo equipment: You are allowed to bring 14 properly packed clubs, 12 balls, and a pair of gold shoes. A polo cuecase up to 12 cues, 2 balls, a pair of boots, a pair of knee pads, and a pair of gloves.
- Bicycle: Only non-motorized and single seat bicycles are allowed. It must be packed in a cardboard box and the pedals must be removed.
Avianca Airlines Restricted Items
Avianca Airlines takes strict measures to ensure the safety of its passengers. For security concerns, the airline has restricted some specific items from its flight. Hence, before boarding an Avianca flight, learn about the items you are not allowed to carry.
So, before you pack your bag, here are some restricted articles you are not allowed to bring.
|Safety cases, boxes, and bags
|It may not contain external batteries or pyrotechnic material
|Self defense gasses, pepper sprays, and irritant substances
|Liquid oxygen devices
|Pipettes, cannulas, masks, and scuba tanks
|Electric weapons (taser)
|Electro-shock weapons, electric or current guns
|Elements with external batteries
|Lighters powered by external batteries and electronic cigarettes
|Damaged electronic equipment
|Computers, mobile phones, chargers, or any other device in poor condition
|Removable or portable batteries
|Spare lithium metal batteries, rechargeable batteries or single batteries
|Filled oxygen cylinders (pipettes)
|Medical or recreational oxygen cylinders, pipettes or tanks with pressure
|Vehicles powered by external batteries
|Hover, boards, scooters, unicycle with this type of battery
|No matches of any kind, as per AVSecurity and airport operator regulation
|Firearms of any size
|Toy guns, ammunition, powder guns, air guns, or replica weapons
|Dynamite, flares, explosive capsules, cigarette lighters, explosive of any kinds, flamethrowers, hand grenades or grenades of any kind
|Pointed metal elements
|Screwdrivers, corkscrews, spanner or pliers, sharp-tipped metals scissors, and tubes
|Baseball or cricket bats,bobbins, martial arts equipment, hockey sticks,golf clubs,or ski poles
|Boxes with sharp points or sides, nail clippers, razor or razor blades, knives, daggers, and axes
The restricted items for flights to/from the United States
- Flammable aerosols
- Alcoholic beverages
- Children’s articles that may contain lithium, lighters, compressed oxygen
- Residual fuel
- Firecrackers, bottle rockets
- Flammable liquids
- Animal repellant, bear spray
- Avalanche rescue backpacks, self inflating
The airline reserves the right to make changes in their policy. You can visit Avianca’s official website to check changes in their policies.
Does Avianca charge for baggage?
If you bring excess baggage or your checked in baggage weighs more than the restricted numbers, then you must pay for the extra luggage.
How much does Avianca charge for extra baggage?
According to Avianca’s baggage policy, passengers have to pay between COP 100,000 to COP 200,000/bag for extra luggage. However, it also depends on the destination from/to where you are traveling.
What should I do if I lose my bag or if my baggage is delayed or damaged?
If you are at the airport, you can go to the Avianca Airlines counter and report about the issue. If the luggage is damaged and the airline is responsible, then the airline will reimburse you.
Can I give 2 bags in checked baggage?
Avianca Airlines allows its passengers to bring 2 bags as checked baggage for free, only if the bags meet the airline’s baggage measurement. If it exceeds, then the passengers must pay a fee for the additional luggage.
What is Avianca baggage fee?
Avianca’s baggage fee depends on the route, faretype, and destination. However, Avianca’s baggage fee ranges between COP 52,000 to COP 100,000.
What should I do if my luggage is damaged or delayed?
In case of a damaged or delayed luggage, the passenger must issue a complaint with the airline within 7 days of arrival. If the damage on the luggage was done due to the airline’s fault, then Avianca will compensate you.
Can I carry my pet on board?
Avianca allows fur babies on board. However, only dogs, cats, and ornamental birds are allowed. For a four-hour flight, the dog must not weigh more than 10 kgs and for other flights, the limit is 20kgs, excluding the containers. Service dogs are allowed.
How do I pay for the extra luggage?
You can pay for the extra luggage at the airport counter,or online,via Avianca’s official website.