Book Cheap Flights- Save Huge
About Cathay Pacific
Traveling via airplane means you must understand and comply with all the guidelines as stated by the airline. Whether it’s about cancellation, flight change, or the baggage allowance, there is a policy for each of them. Similarly, there is a Cathay Pacific baggage policy, which states all the allowed luggage and prohibited items. Below we will talk about all the baggage related rules you must follow. But first, a little brief about the airline.
Cathay Pacific is a renowned major flag carrier airline of China and is headquartered in Hong Kong’s metropolitan area. Founded in 1946, the airline operates from its primary hub at Hong Kong International Airport. In addition, the airline serves 190 destinations in more than 60 countries worldwide as of now.
Baggage Allowance Policy
In order to avoid chaotic scenarios with your luggage, it’s recommended that you learn everything about the Cathay Pacific baggage rule. The following mentioned guidelines will also help you learn about what is allowed and what is strictly prohibited in the cabin, in the hold, as well as in the cargo.
- Each individual is allowed to take one piece of carry-on baggage and one personal item bag in the passenger cabin.
- Apart from service dogs, no other pets are allowed in the passenger cabin. They will be transported in checked baggage or in cargo.
- There are some limitations for carriage of portable electronic devices in the cabin as well as in checked baggage.
- The checked baggage allowed will depend upon your flight’s destination, Cathay Status, and your cabin class.
- All the bags that exceed the limit of checked baggage allowance will be termed under overweight / oversize bags, and will be subject to a fee.
- There are separate guidelines for carriage of infants onboard. They must comply with the stated guidelines of the airline.
Carry-On Baggage Allowance
- Customers with a reserved seat are entitled to one piece of carry-on luggage and one additional personal item, which includes small handbags, laptop bags, small backpacks, camera bags or briefcases. You may also carry other necessary items such as a small camera or a walking stick in the cabin.
- You are also allowed to bring a limited quantity of personal medicines and toiletries (such as hair spray) on board. However, there are some restrictions for the same.
- Only service dogs are allowed in the passenger cabin. No personal support pets are accepted on board, as per Cathay Pacific baggage policy.
- Small handheld portable electronic devices, such as smartphones, mobile phones, and tablets, are accepted and may be used throughout the flight, provided that they are in “Flight mode” with WiFi functions disabled.
- Larger electronic devices such as laptops, notebooks, and portable DVD players are accepted, but may only be used during boarding and inflight.
- For flights to / from the USA, there are no restrictions on the number of mobility aids and assistive aids you can bring on board for free.
- On flights to other destinations, you may bring one assistive device and two mobility aids per passenger, in addition to your standard check in allowance.
Checked Baggage Allowance
- To determine your Cathay Pacific checked baggage allowance, visit the official website of Cathay Pacific Airlines. Thereater, enter your origin, destination, cabin class, departure date, and Cathay Status. This way, you can easily find out the pieces and weight limit of baggage allowed for you.
- Irrespective of your Cathay Status and cabin class your checked baggage must not exceed 70 lbs in weight and 203 cm in dimensions, otherwise your luggage won’t be accepted.
- Baggage that exceeds the size and weight limit of your standard check-in allowance, or exceeds your Cathay or oneworld tier allowance, will require special handling and will be subject to an additional luggage fee.
- If you are carrying nail scissors, letter knives or anything sharp and pointed, you will have to place them into Cathay Pacific checked baggage.
Additional Baggage Policy
First and Business Class
Each additional piece can:
- Weigh up to 70lbs
- Within size up to 158 cm in total dimension
- Any extra baggage over 158cm (up to maximum of 203cm ) in total dimension will be subject to an oversize charge
Premium Economy and Economy Class
Each additional piece can:
- Weigh up to 50lbs
- Within size up to 158 cm in total dimension
- Any extra baggage over 50 lbs (up to max of 70lbs) will be subject to an overweight charge
- Any extra baggage over 158 cm (up to maximum of 203 cm) in total dimension will be subject to an oversize charge
Overweight and Oversize Baggage Fee
|Overweight and Oversized
|Bags from 51 lbs to 70lbs
|Bags from 160 cm to 203 cm
Note: For bags above 70 lbs in weight and 203 cm in size, please contact the customer support of the airline.
Items that qualify as a single piece of luggage
In accordance with Cathay Pacific baggage policy, the following articles count as ‘single piece luggage’(158cm in total dimensions) regardless of their actual dimensions:
- One sleeping bag or bed-roll
- One rucksack, knapsack or backpack
- One pair of snow skis with one pair of ski poles and boots
- One snowboard and boots
- One water surfing board
- One golf bag containing clubs and accompanying golf shoes
- One duffle-type bag or type 22 bag
- One suitably packed bicycle
- One pair of standard water skis for slalom water skis
- Suitably packed fishing equipment consisting of two rods, one reel, one landing net, one pair of fishing boots and tackle box
Cathay Pacific Baggage Policy for Infants and Children
- All passengers that come under age of 2 are termed as infants and are welcomed on board. They do not require a seat and can be carried on the lap of an accompanying adult.
- Cathay Pacific baggage allowance states that infants are allowed to carry 1 piece of standard bag weighing not more than 50 lbs (excluding Economy Basic fares).
- As for children above age 2, are required to sit in a separate booked seat. Their baggage limit is: same standard baggage allowance as an adult booking.
- If the infant turns two years old before the return trip, you will need to pay the applicable child fare, tax, fee, and charges.
- If you are traveling with more than one infant on board, please note that each parent or guardian may bring a maximum of two infants.
- You can bring your own personal car safety seats as long as they meet our specifications.
- If you do not want to purchase an extra seat for your infant or child, they may travel with you as long as you use the appropriate safety device. Please let the airline know if you want a child restraint device when you make your reservation.
- If your child is aged 6 to under 12 years old, enrollment as an Unaccompanied minor is mandatory, unless they are accompanied by an adult passenger who is at least 18 years old.
- You are not required to make any special arrangements for your children aged 12 to under 18 years old when they travel. However, you can still register them as Unaccompanied minors if you wish for added care and attention.
Cathay Pacific Pet Policy
- Cathay Pacific baggage policy for pets states that only service dogs are allowed to be carried in the passenger cabin of the aircraft.
- If you wish to take your emotional support cats and dogs with you, then it will be transported as check-in baggage or in cargo.
- If your pet is being transported with Cathay Pacific Cargo, you will need to take your pet to the cargo terminal and pick them up from the cargo terminal at the destination. The fees will depend on the size and weight of your pet and its travel container.
- Carriage of pets is subject to availability. Hence, it’s best that you make a prior reservation to avoid any chaos.
- A pet carriage fee will be charged per segment. The fee will depend upon the total weight and size of the pet and its container.
Delayed and Damaged Baggage Policy
- Cathay Pacific baggage rule says that if in any case your luggage is delayed or damaged, the airline will take full responsibility to resolve the issue and reimburse you if applicable.
- As soon as you realize that your baggage is delayed, report an issue at the Cathay Pacific baggage counter, so that airline can assist you.
- If you find your bag is damaged and you realize it after leaving the airport, then you can report the issue online. Please ensure you take note of your report reference number for future reference.
- You can also contact the customer support, provided that you report your damaged bag within 7 days of receiving your baggage.
- If you’ve left an item on board in the aircraft, please contact the Baggage Services office of Cathay Pacific.
- If your baggage is delayed or damaged, you can raise a claim, and Cathay Pacific will provide compensation if it’s applicable.
Cathay Pacific Special Baggage Policy
When flying to most destinations, please follow our check in luggage guidance for weight and dimensions. If your kit exceeds these amounts, you will be charged for having excess baggage. In accordance with Cathay Pacific baggage policy, an excess baggage fee will be charged.
Here are guidelines for carriage of some specific equipments:
Traveling with a bicycle
If you plan on traveling with a bicycle, please contact the airline’s customer support at least 72 hours prior to departure. This confirms that your bicycle can be accepted in the aircraft assigned to your flight. The bicycle can be included as part of your total checked baggage allowance as long as it meets the following requirements:
- A non-motorised touring or racing, single-seat bicycle
- Handlebars that are either fixed, tightened sideways, or tightened parallel
- Pedals that have been either removed, fixed inwards or enclosed in plastic foam and similar material
- Deflated tyres
- Packed in a strong and protective hard case or recognised bicycle box.
Traveling with an avalanche rescue backpacks
- You may bring a rescue backpack as Cathay Pacific checked baggage or hand baggage. The backpack must be stowed in a way that means it will not be activated accidentally. The airbag within the backpack must be fitted with pressure relief valves.
- Backpacks containing a compressed gas cylinder (in division 2.2) may only be equipped with a pyrotechnic trigger mechanism that contains less than 200mg of Division 1.4S.
- Please note that the compressed gas cylinder must be carried in the corresponding avalanche rescue backpack, and only one avalanche rescue backpack is allowed per passenger.
Traveling with sporting firearms
Sporting firearms consist of:
- One rifle case containing not more than two rifles, 10 lbs of ammunition, one shooting mat, noise suppressor and small rifle tools
- Two shotguns and two shotgun cases
- One pistol case containing no more than five pistols, 10 lbs of ammunition, noise suppressors, one pistol telescope and small pistol tools
In Hand Baggage
You can bring small musical instruments (like flutes or violins) onto the plane as part of your Cathay Pacific baggage allowance. Please ensure they’re stored in a hard case and can be safely stowed inside the overhead locker.
The weight of such items must not exceed 15 lbs, including the case. For all traveling classes, dimensions of hand baggage musical instruments must not exceed 93 x 39 x 24 cm, including the case.
In Checked Baggage
Large musical instruments, like a guitar or cello, which exceed the above limits or the cabin baggage allowance, must be checked. Please be aware that weight and dimension restrictions for check in baggage apply. These include the hard case of the instrument.
Purchasing an additional seat for your musical instrument
You can store larger musical instruments (like a guitar or a cello) on a purchased seat if you do not want to check them in. You must store your instrument in a hard case, while the ground staff will fasten it upright into the seat in the canvas bag provided
Dimensions of the instrument must not exceed 136 x 48 x 44 cm, including the case. Weight must not exceed 70 lbs including the case.
Restricted / Prohibited Items
There are certain items that you are welcome to bring on board provided you follow Cathay Pacific baggage guidelines. Please carefully read over the following recommendations, to ensure your luggage complies with the policy.
You may bring alcoholic beverages back with you, as long as they are in their retail packaging, with an alcoholic content of 24-70%. Each passenger is entitled to a total net quantity of 5 liters per person, either in your checked or cabin baggage.
Alcohol-based disinfectant and sanitiser products
You may bring liquids, aerosols, and gels in your cabin luggage as long as they do not exceed a maximum volume of 100ml for each item. These should be carried in one resealable, transparent plastic bag no more than 1 L in capacity, per passenger.
Lighters and matches
With the exception of China, Bangladesh and India, a passenger can carry one small packet of safety matches or a cigarette lighter on one’s person, which is intended for use by the individual only.
As per Cathay Pacific baggage policy, the inflated objects, including inflated balls for sporting purposes such as basketballs, can only be accepted in checked or cabin baggage if it is deflated.
Different countries have their local customs requirements for importing food items. You are advised to check with the relevant authorities of the particular country for the same.
Please note that most fruit items may be carried into the cabin as long as they are within the limit– with the exception of durian and jackfruit, which are universally banned in aircraft cabins.
Heat producing articles
Please note that passengers are not permitted to bring battery-powered heat producing devices that contain non-removable lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries in the cabin or checked baggage.
In effect from January 2018, smart bags with integrated lithium batteries for the purpose of charging an external device will not be accepted as cabin baggage or Cathay Pacific checked baggage.
Controlled items allowed in cabin baggage
The following items cannot be packed in your checked baggage but are allowed in your hand baggage, provided you meet the requirements.
Electronic cigarettes can only be carried on board either on one’s person or in your cabin baggage. It must not be used on the plane and must not be placed in your checked luggage. Recharging electronic cigarettes or its batteries on board is not permitted.
Controlled items allowed in check in baggage
The following items are not allowed in your cabin baggage but you may pack them in your check in baggage, provided you meet the requirements.
- Guns, firearms and other devices that discharge projectiles
- Objects with a sharp point or sharp edge
- Workmen’s tools
- Blunt instruments
To ensure utmost safety of the passengers, Cathay Pacific baggage policy has banned certain items to be carried in cabin or as checked baggage. Find out the regulations for all such item:
You may not bring any stunning devices, designed specifically to stun or immobilize, onto the plane.
Such devices include:
- devices for shocking, such as stun guns, tasers and stun batons
- animal stunners and animal killers
- disabling and incapacitating chemicals, gases and sprays, such as mace, pepper sprays, capsicum sprays, tear gas, acid sprays and animal repellent sprays
- electric stunning devices
Explosives and incendiary substances
You may not bring any explosive item or incendiary substance when you travel.
Such devices include:
- blasting caps
- detonators and fuses
- replica or limitation explosive devices
- munitions, fireworks, toy fireworks and flares
- mines, grenades and other explosive military stores
- fireworks and other pyrotechnics
- smoke-generating canisters and cartridges
- dynamite, gunpowder and plastic explosives
You may not bring any flammable substances onto the aircraft. These include harmful gasses, liquids like lighter fuel and flammable solids.
Such devices include:
- Camping gas, glazing torches and other harmful gasses
- Flammable liquids like lighter fluid, petrol and diesel
- Paints, thinner and liquid adhesives
- Flammable solids
- Strike anywhere matches
- Flameless Ration Heater
You may not bring oxidisers, poisons, corrosives or hazardous materials onto the plane, as per Cathay Pacific baggage policy.
Such devices include:
- Oxidizing liquids or solids
- Toxic and poisonous substances
- Chemical and biological hazardous substances
- Compressed gasses
- Corrosive materials
- Radioactive materials
You may not travel with items and lithium-powered vehicles that could cause serious harm to other passengers.
Such devices include:
- Small vehicles powered by lithium ion batteries
- Attaché briefcases with installed alarm devices
- Incorporate lithium batteries
- Pyrotechnic material
Animal Products (In EU Countries)
As a broad rule, passengers are not permitted to bring any consignment of meat products or milk products into the EU, with the exception of powdered infant milk, baby food or special food or pet foodstuffs required for medical purposes.
Guidelines for carrying Liquids, Gels, and Powders
- You may bring liquids, aerosols, and gels in your cabin luggage as long as they do not exceed a maximum volume of 100ml for each item.
- They must be carried in one resealable, transparent plastic bag of no more than 1-liter in capacity, per passenger, as per Cathay Pacific baggage rule.
- There are security restrictions in the United States and Australia/New Zealand on the carriage of certain types of powders into the cabin of an aircraft, limiting maximum volume to 350ml (12oz). Items exceeding stated amounts should be packed into your checked bags. Please note that airport security personnel will remove items that do not meet the requirements before you fly.
Here are some things to remember before you pack liquids, gels, etc in your luggage:
Packaging your items
Please use a resealable, transparent plastic bag or clear case to transport your liquids and they must comply with following:
- Must not exceed 20cm / 8in in height and width
- Must be 1 liter in volume
- Must be transparent and re-sealable
- Items must fit inside comfortably
- Bag must fasten when closed
- One bag per passenger
- Bag must be presented separately from hand baggage for security
Types of item
You can use the following types of products as a guide / protection, as stated under Cathay Pacific baggage policy:
- Gels, like hair gel or shower gel
- Lotions and liquids, like sun cream or roll-on deodorant
- Pastes, like toothpaste or Vaseline (only when traveling with infants)
- Pressurized foams and sprays, like shaving foam or pressurized deodorant
- Foodstuffs, like water or yogurt
- Liquid cosmetics, like foundation or lip-gloss
The following items, which are intended for use during your trip, can be carried in hand baggage in quantities above 100ml, provided they are presented for inspection at security.
- Medicines that are essential for travel, like diabetic kits
- Baby food, in paste or liquid form (if you are traveling with an infant)
- Expressed breast milk, of breastfeeding mothers traveling with or without their baby
- Non-liquid cosmetics, like lipsticks, powder foundation and solid deodorants.
Duty Free items
You may bring any volume of liquid, aerosol and gel items purchased at Duty Free stores in your hand luggage, provided that you keep your proof of purchase and keep the item in a sealed, tamper-evident bag.
In accordance with Cathay Pacific baggage guidelines, the following portable electronic devices that are prohibited for use at all times:
- Personal appliances
- Domestic appliances
- Radios and transmitters
- Network and connecting devices
How early can I check my luggage, if I am traveling with Cathay Pacific?
Cathay Pacific allows passengers to check in 3 hours prior to the scheduled departure of all flights.
How many free checked baggage can I carry with Cathay Pacific ?
Cathay Pacific allows checked baggage depending upon flight destination and cabin class. However, your checked bag must not exceed 50 lbs, otherwise an overweight fee will be levied.
What is the Cathay Pacific baggage fee?
Cathay Pacific charges a baggage fee for all additional and overweight / oversize bags.
What should I do if my baggage is delayed or damaged?
In such cases, you can go to the Cathay Pacific baggage counter or contact customer support to report the issue. If the luggage is damaged or delayed and the airline is responsible, then they will reimburse you.
What is Cathay Pacific carry-on baggage policy ?
Cathay Pacific baggage policy allows you one piece of personal item bag and one piece of carry-on bag for all fare types.
Can you check more than two bags in Cathay Pacific ?
Cathay Pacific may allow up to 2 checked bags, depending on destination, cabin class, and Cathay Status.
How can I pay the Cathay Pacific baggage fee?
Cathay Pacific allows you to pay your baggage fee both at the airport counter and online via the official website.
Can I carry my pet on the Cathay Pacific flight?
Yes, Cathay Pacific only allows service dogs in the passenger cabin. Rest all other pets will be transported either in the hold or by cargo.
What is Cathay Pacific baggage allowance for infants?
As per Cathay Pacific baggage policy, infants are allowed to take one standard sized bag of 50 lbs, except Economy fares.
Is Cathay Pacific a good airline?
Cathay Pacific is certified as a 3-Star Airline for the quality of its airport and onboard product and staff service. Passengers rate this airline for its amenities, food & beverages, etc.